Architects: Meiring, Naudé, Lötter and Botha
Completed: 14 April 1971
This granite obelisk represents the obelisk erected in 1922 at Umgungundlovu (KwaZulu-Natal), to mark the site where Piet Retief and 70 of his fellow trekkers were murdered on 6 February 1838 on command of the Zulu King, Dingane.
The trekkers were overpowered in the royal kraal, Umgungundlovu and dragged to the hill called KwaMathiwane. Their remains were only discovered and re-interred on the site on 21 December 1838 by Andries Pretorius and his commando.