Mr S.P.(Fanie) Botha who farmed with his father on the farm Rietspruit, had the wagon built with the Symbolic Ox Wagon Trek of 1938 in mind. The wagon was used during the Centenary celebration in Heidelberg in 1938 and later exclusively at Covenant commemoration services.
The wagon was donated to the Teachers Training College, Pretoria in the late 1960’s where it stood in the entrance hall. When the college moved, the wagon could not be accommodated and after many travels, it was finally donated to the Voortrekker Monument. Erik Holm restored the wagon in 2003 and Elsabé Holm completed the traditional painting on the wagon.